ws-logo shield text

No View Cart

Lucky Devil Racing



 Lucky Devil Drag Racing


 Wayne Nicholson 


 1963 Corvette Stingray 



BODY: 1963 ‘Split window’ Chevrolet Corvette

CHASSIS: Chrome Moly by Webster Race Engineering


521ci BAE HEMI

Kobelco Superman 14/71 Supercharger (Carbon Fibre injection hat)

MSD 44 Amp magneto

Waterman Fuel System


3 Speed Lenco/Bruno

Neal Chance Converter


Fabricated by Websters

9½ inch centre section

40 spline shafts Floating hubs

All by Strange Engineering

SUSPENSION: Front struts by Strange Engineering

BRAKES: All by Strange Engineering


Front – 3½ × 15 spindle mount by Weld Racing with Hoosier tyres

Rear – 16 × 16 "Double Beadlock" by Weld Racing with 34.5 × 17.5 × 16 Hoosier slicks


Painted in BMW titanium silver at Scotthall BMW Leeds.

Red candy flames by Bryan Whitfield at Roberts Motor Bodies.

Airbrushing and lettering designed and applied by Chris Froggett.


On board data logger by Racepak

All safety equipment by Stroud and Simpson



M.S.A British Drag Racing Championship



Easter 2017, End of May, Mid-June , Mid July , early September and late September all at Santa Pod Raceway


Finished 5th in the British Championship out of 22 teams



Wayne started racing in 1989 in a home-built Ford Pop, entered in the Rover V8 class. The car was named ‘Born to Run’ and ran 11.50s and would often end up in the semi-finals, although the finals were never reached. A lot was learnt while racing in the Rover V8 class but the car was sold complete in 1997 due to the desire to go quicker with a bigger engine.

Between 1997 and 2000 a ‘new’ car was built, again at home. This was the ex-Kenny Coleman Rover 800 ‘Police Car’, which was re-bodied as a 3 Series BMW Coupe, with a small block Chevy and TH400 transmission. Over the course of one to two years this ran 10.90s in Pro ET and at numerous test days.

A 540ci Big Block Chevy then found its way into the car, producing 750hp. The huge increase in power led to 8.70 – 8.80s ETs at 154mph. The car competed in Super Pro ET and also at many door slammer events.

On September 4th 2003, on the way to the European Finals at Santa Pod, Wayne was unfortunately involved in a motorway accident. A 38 ton truck ran into the back of him, pushing him into a 93 ton military transporter which was in front. The motor home, trailer and race car were all completely destroyed. Wayne had to be cut from the wreckage and airlifted to hospital where he was operated on that night. His youngest son Joe and good friend Dave Billadeau were also in the accident. They were also taken to hospital and released the same day.

Almost four months later, Wayne returned to work having undergone physiotherapy and now having screws holding him together.
It never crossed Wayne’s mind to give up racing and the plan was hatched to build a new car, to go even quicker than before.

Wayne has been competing in the British drag racing championship running in the top half of the field finishing as high as 3rd in the championship.


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.